Friday, April 1, 2011

Exercise Your Ears



This is a Grooveshark playlist.
According to Grooveshark's wikipedia entry, Grooveshark is "an internationally available online music search engine, music streaming service and music recommendation web software application, allowing users to search for, stream, and upload music free of charge that can be played immediately or added to a playlist."

Grooveshark headquarters are located in my native Gainesville, Florida, which makes them even more awesome. I tend to make lengthy playlists on Grooveshark that coincide with whatever the tone of a scene I'm working on is. It can be really helpful, I think. Try it out!

So, I put this playlist up here not to impress you with my awesome music, but to allow you to experience something new (hopefully) that will enhance your writing. If you're having writer's block, pick a song from the playlist, listen to it, and write down whatever you're feeling while you listen. It could be a scene, a list of adjectives, tone, a character, etc. Anything you want. This tactic has rescued me many times, and I think it could help you, too.

I will be posting new playlists or single songs intermittently. If this has been of use to you, or if you'd like to share the ideas you've had from these songs, or you have suggestions for other songs that inspire, hit me up in the comments section.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm...we should sharing music suggestions more often! Me likey.

    ReplyDelete