Thursday, March 31, 2011

Go to a Place...

From the Louvre at sunset.

Today I was reading a very interesting book on plot and structure (in the bathroom). In this book, it said a lot of things that I think most writers accept as the basic rules of writing. But it also had some great ideas for ways to come up with plot. There was one suggestion (there were twenty or something), that read "go to a place and drink it in."
I, however, misread it as "go to a place and drink in it."
That makes much more sense to me that some quixotic nonsense like "drink it in". What does that even mean? Anyway, I think my accidental misreading was really my subconscious trying to give me some more digestible advice. I take it to mean something like, "go somewhere -- anywhere -- and just hang out. Grab a drink. Get into trouble. Do something real there, instead of site-seeing." That's the kind of thing people want to read about. And I think that's the kind of thing people want to write as well. 

Don't keep life at arm's length. Hold history in your hands. Sucker punch convention. Get drunk. Get lost.
Truth will find you.

No comments:

Post a Comment