Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Fat Latte Good It'll Do Me

I order there every morning.
I don't know how people write in coffee shops. In Gainesville, at least, I seem to know at least one person every time I go. This knowing people thing is not conducive to my writing, as I spend a large portion of the time I had allocated to pound pen to paper chatting with acquaintances about whatever they're writing.
So, I've given up on writing in coffee shops.

But, since I'm talking about them, it seems like people spend a lot of time in coffee shops not drinking coffee. I've seen customers buy a water and sit around for six hours on their laptop or talking to friends. Buy a coffee, damn it! You're the reason Starbucks is taking over, freeloaders! Locally owned coffee shops can't afford to put you up for a six hour pretension spree if you're not going to fork over ten bucks for a coffee and some refills. Maybe a muffin.

Anyway, JKR makes it look easy, but not everyone can write their books in coffee shops. Full disclosure: I write a lot in the bathroom. The master bathroom in my house is a joke, tiny and bland with room enough for a sink, a toilet, and a standing room-only-shower, but if I shut the door no one bothers me. I don't blame them, you know?

It's hard to talk about the restroom without that edge of stigma associated with it, but I wonder if there's anywhere on the planet more secluded than your own bathroom. Sometimes I go sit in the shower -- not while it's on, obviously -- and write for pages and pages. Does anyone else feel more productive in the lavatory?

No comments:

Post a Comment