Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mothers

My office space at home


First off, happy Mother's Day to all you moms. Especially to my mom. I love you! Thank you!

You have to wonder about mothers. Do they even make a difference in the way a person turns out? I mean, there are some animals whose mothers simply leave alone before they've even hatched! They seem to turn out ok.
But what about humans? What about my characters?
Mothers and fathers play a huge role in my books. Whether they've died during childbirth, left their baby with strangers, spoiled their child rotten, or loved them so unconditionally that they've died for them, parents tend to be a big deal, at least for me.
My own parents have been excellent examples of self-sacrifice and patience for characters like Adelmo and Sayen (who is not technically a mother, but acts as one to her younger brother Guara). I know, I know. You probably have no idea who these characters are. But when you do, then you will also know that they are modeled on the never-take-no-for-an-answer, quirky, protective, unfailing love that my own parents have for me.
But specifically moms, then, since it's Mother's Day and that seems to be the overall theme of this particular day. I may have digressed a bit from my topic.
I think that mothers, whether present or absent from their children's lives, have enormous impact. Because we are not sea turtles, whose mothers leave them to fend for themselves against seagulls and the great big ocean (I know I couldn't have learned to swim all by myself!), our mothers are a huge part of who we become. They show us what compassion is, how to hide annoyance and when to show it, how to live with a thousand tiny heartbreaks and for those moments when all can be mended with a single whispered "I love you". How can a character, how can we as people, ever be stronger not having had such love?
Those who don't have a mother's love can only imagine ways to fill that hole, because they cannot imagine how vast that hole is. I very much pity the characters I have made motherless. Mostly because I think if all of us has amazing mothers that there would be very little reason for war or hate in this world. But then, without war and hate, I wouldn't have a story, so I guess I can't be too much of an idealist, can I?

In other news, I am the bee's knees as cleaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment